Monday, October 20, 2014

Emerald Lake and Sky Meadows Hike

  Sky Meadows Hike
October 20, 2014
 
 
                      
 
Fall is my favorite season in the Eastern Sierras.  I love the quietness, the changing colors of the foliage, and the deep colors of the sky as the sun travels lower.  My work as a massage therapist at In Touch is very slow in the fall.  Besides doing various other projects at this time, I enjoy the outdoors.  In Touch does not open until 11 a.m.,  and if I do not have an 11 a.m. scheduled for the next day, the soonest I would have to be at work would be 45 minutes later.
 
This morning Hana and I headed up to the Lakes Basin in Mammoth Lakes to do a short hike to Emerald Lake.  I hiked it earlier in the summer as well.  It is short, approx. 1.5 miles round trip, and the trail is right next to Coldwater Creek.  We only saw 2 different parties of people during the entire hike.  Quiet times. 
 
These beautiful hikes in the Lakes Basin are incredibly accessible to the back country.  My house is only 4.7 miles away to the trailhead of today's hike at Coldwater Creek.  Once I started my hike, I got to the John Muir Wilderness sign in about 3 minutes. 
 
A hop, skip and a jump away and we were already at the lake. 
 
Emerald Lake

I decided to continue up to Sky Meadows, which is about 3/4 of a mile up from Emerald Lake.  The trail continued next to another stream.  I love hiking hearing the sound of water next to me.

Babbling brooks abound.


  Sky Meadows
It's nice to lay in an alpine meadow
 
And listen to the sound of the creek

Or lay on your back and watch the clouds go by.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
45 minute hike from my car, and I am at this beautiful place.   
 
 
 
 
 

                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment